- Your placement test scores will be used to place you in appropriate level college courses.
- You are required to take the English and math placement tests unless you have completed a transferable college English composition course and/or math course. Review transferable credits at www.wisconsin.edu/transfer using the Credit Transfer Wizard listed under Transfer Tools.
- You may also be exempt if you have completed an AP, CAPP or IB course prior to your senior year in English and/or math. Please review the section below titled, “Earning College Credit in High School” to determine if you need to take one or both tests.
- The placement test results will be shared with you on your Advisement & Registration day. Students will not receive their scores in advance.
- If you are unable to complete placement tests prior to your Advisement & Registration day, you can still attend the day. You will register for fall courses outside of math and English. These subject can be added after test results become available.
- On your test day, you will be required to show a high school ID or governments issued photo identification document, such as a driver’s license, state-issued ID or passport. Information on how to obtain a Wisconsin ID card can be found here.
- Foreign language placement testing is optional. Please review the section below that discusses foreign language placement testing for further information.
- Sample questions can be found here.
Placement Testing Options
To learn more, please click on each option below.
Last Minute Testing Options
Option A: Take placement tests at UW Oshkosh during normal Testing Services hours.
- Testing at UW Oshkosh during a week day will allow you to test up to 1 day prior to your Advisement and Registration day.
- Click here for more details.
Cost: $30-40 Total
- $25 placed on fall tuition bill
- Additional $5 per test collected at the time of test.
Option B: Contact a testing site near you to ask if they will administer a residual placement test. Please note that not all sites will do this.
- Please click here for individual testing site contact information.
Cost will vary
- $25 placed on fall tuition bill
- Additional fees are determined by individual sites.
Regional Testing Option 2: Computer-Based
- Limited number of dates and locations.
- Must register in advance at testing.wisc.edu.
- Must bring your personal laptop computer, with a power cord, to your testing location.
- Must be taken at least 48 hours before your Advisement & Registration day.
- Registration Deadline: Eight (8) days before Saturday tests and nine (9) days before Sunday tests.
Cost: Approx. $105-150 total
- $25 is placed on your fall tuition bill.
- Requires an additional fee upon registration.
Foreign Language Placement Testing (Optional)
To take the foreign language placement test in French, German or Spanish, you must have two or more years experience in the language in which you wish to test. There is a possibility to earn retroactive credits by taking the UW Oshkosh foreign language course you test into and earning a grade of “B” or better in that course. Retroactive credit for foreign language is a topic that will be explained further to you on your Advisement & Registration day.
Questions or concerns?
If you have questions or concerns that you did not find answers to on the website, please email email@example.com or contact one of the following admissions staff members:
- Nicole Jackson, (920) 424-3079
- Jennifer Werner, (920) 424-0309
UW Oshkosh Admissions
800 Algoma Boulevard
135 Dempsey Hall
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Hours of Operation:
M-F 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.