Placement Testing Information
- Online registration is available. The following information is important to know when scheduling your placement tests. Please read carefully, and then follow the link at the bottom of the page to register for your placement tests.
- Your placement test scores will be used to place you in appropriate level college courses.
- You are required to take the English and math placement tests unless you have completed a transferable college English composition course and/or math course. Review transferable credits at www.wisconsin.edu/transfer using the “Credit Transfer Wizard”
- You may take your tests at any of the participating locations throughout Wisconsin. The scores will be available to all UW System schools.
- You will need to complete your English and math placement tests at least two weeks prior to your assigned Odyssey day. Please refer to the information under “Register for Placement Tests Online” section if you have concerns about the timing of your placement tests.
- Foreign language placement testing is optional. Please review the section below that discusses foreign language placement testing for further information.
- On your test day, students will be required to show a high school ID or a government issued photo identification document, such as a driver’s license, state-issued ID or passport. Information on how to obtain a Wisconsin ID card can be found here.
- Sample placement test questions can be found here.
Testing Dates and Odyssey
There are a limited number of testing dates available at various UW System campuses. You may test at any location, which may require some travel.
Things to keep in mind:
- Students attending Odyssey in June who have not yet taken placement tests should refer to the last-minute options listed in the chart below.
- Placement tests may not be taken on your Odyssey day.
- You do not receive test results prior to your Odyssey date. Your academic adviser will share the results and interpretation of your scores at Odyssey.
Register for Placement Tests Online
As many testing dates have already passed, you may not be able to complete a regional placement test before your Odyssey day. Please refer to the last-minute options in the chart below for additional ways to test before your Odyssey day.
Please make every effort to complete your placement testing before your Odyssey day. If you are unable to complete them, you may still attend Odyssey; however, you will not be able to register for your math or English (foreign language optional) courses. Your adviser will work with you at Odyssey on a strategy for adding those courses at a later time when your scores become available.
You may not take placement tests on your Odyssey day.
If you are able to register online:
- You will receive immediate confirmation via email of your selected date and location.
- No confirmation letters are mailed. Print or write down the confirmation information when you register so you have testing location, parking information and directions available on the day of your tests.
- If you need special accommodations for taking your placement tests due to a disability, please do not use the online registration system to sign up for testing and follow the instructions below under Special Accommodations.
- Two test options are available: Paper-and-Pencil or Computer-Based. Please see the chart below for more information.
- Larger number of dates, times and locations.
- Must register in advance at www.testing.wisc.edu
- Must bring a non-graphing calculator and No. 2 pencils
- Must be taken at least two weeks prior to your Odyssey dates
- Eight (8) days before Saturday tests and nine (9) days before Sunday Tests
- $25 total placed on fall tuition bill
- $0 due at time of registration
- Limited number of dates, times and locations.
- You must bring personal laptop computer, with a power cord, to your testing location.
- Requires an additional fee upon registration.
- Must register in advance at www.testing.wisc.edu
- Must be taken at least 48 hours before your Odyssey date.
- Eight (8) days before Saturday tests and nine (9) days before Sunday tests.
- $105-125 total; $25 placed on your fall tuition bill
- Due at time of registration:
- $80 (up to 90 minutes; one exam session) for students who need to take math or English
- $90 (up to 3 hours; two exam sessions) for students who need to take math and English
- $100 (up to 4 hours; three exam sessions) for students who need to take math, English, and foreign language
- Take placement tests at UW Oshkosh during normal Testing Services hours. Please click here for details.
- $30-40 total ($25 placed on fall tuition bill)
- Additional $5 per test collected at the time of test
- Contact a testing site near you to ask if they will administer a residual placement test. Please note that not all sites will do this.
- Please click here for individual testing site confirmation information.
- Cost will vary
- $25 placed on fall tuition bill
- Additional fees are determined by individual sites.
Foreign Language Placement Testing (Optional)
To take the foreign language placement test in French, German or Spanish, you must have two or more years’ experience in the language in which you wish to test.
There is a possibility to earn retroactive credits by taking the UW Oshkosh foreign language course you test into and earning a grade of “B” or better in that course. Retroactive credit for foreign language is a topic that will be explained further to you on your Odyssey day.
If you need special accommodations for taking your placement tests due to a disability, please do not use the online registration system to sign up for testing.
Instead, have a teacher, high school counselor or principal who has the professional expertise to describe the testing accommodations you will need, submit a letter on your high school letter head to:
1025 W Johnson St.Madison, WI 53706
Please do not send an IEP.
Note: The letter must include:
- Your full name
- Your address and phone number
- The site at which you wish to take the placement tests
- The name of the UW campus you plan to attend in the fall of 2015
- Description of testing accommodations needed
Earning College Credit While in High School?
Register for your Regional Placement Tests
Go to www.testing.wisc.edu for:
- Placement testing dates and locations
- Registration deadlines
- Confirmation of your registration (remember to print this!)
- Contact information for all test sites
- Directions to testing sites
- Parking information
- Changing your test date
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Viewing sample test questions